Become An Inspiring Speaker

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Stretch into Your Skin

It always amazes me how fear can interfere with what we want to do. A friend of mine called me today and said, "Debra, I did it, but I was scared and uncomfortable." I asked her what she was afraid of and she said she was afraid the answer to her ask would be "No". Guess what? The answer would still be no if you never asked for what you wanted. What if the answer was "Yes!" We tend get uncomfortable doing things we are not use to. I like to think of the discomfort as stretching into the skin you were meant to be in. It is when we get too comfortable that we must continously strive to stretch ourselves out of that comfort zone.


Have you ever noticed that when you ask for what you want, you get excited and nervous at the same time?  The excitement and nervousness can be put to great use in your learning curve. Take that enthusiasm and savor the moment. What does it feel like to see yourself hearing the "Yes"? Music to your ears I bet!

You can choose to hang onto your fears and your doubts or you can summon up the courage to go after what you really want in life. Too often, we catch ourselves looking for the approval from others instead of from ourselves. Fear and doubt may even numb you from taking action. When people try to talk you out of your dreams, they do so because of their own fears and doubts. It does not necessarily mean they do not believe you will succeed. It is important for you to believe in your dreams and for you to continue to take steps toward reaching your goals even if they are small ones. You will never be able to realize the full impact of the small steps you take until you reach your big destination.

Lead a fearless life!

 Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without FearFearless: Creating the Courage to Change the Things You Can

2 comments:

  1. I have learned to be comfortable being uncomfortable on my journey from where I am to where I want to be. Sometimes I feel stuck and sometimes I feel fearful, but mostly I just listen for the inner "Hell yeses" in life and move forward ready and open to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening for your inner voice to say, "Yes. This is exactly what I want!" is very important. Sometimes, it easier to be impulsive rather than taking the time to do a self-check in. Being comfortable with the uncomfortable is the first step to mastery. Each time you face your fear, you get better at handling the situation.Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete